Barbie Dream Pony

This past weekend was one of the best horse-centric weekend I've had in a long time, and it was much needed. I might actually do a few posts this week, and if I do I'll be highly impressed considering my usual breaks between posts!

I've been hanging out at Kalyn's barn for years since I have so many friends that board there. When I went to hang out with Kalyn and Hannah there on Thursday, the BM asked if I wanted to ride B since the owner was away and she needed to be worked. I asked what a B was and she pointed me to the CUTEST Haflinger I've ever seen in my life. She's as wide as she is tall and the sweetest sassy mare. After being assured that this brick house could indeed handle a not-tiny rider, I was all in. 

She is far wider than this photo really shows

This pony is pretty danged trained up the levels in dressage and takes wonderful care of her ammy owner. She has buttons and brains all wrapped up in one 14.2 hand package and I didn't stop grinning all night. When I hopped on (um, going from swinging up to 16.2 hands of Goose to basically stepping onto a pony was way harder than it should have been) I giggled like a little kid. They told me to just play, that she needs the exercise, and that she's totally safe and wouldn't do anything I couldn't handle. Perfect. 

"Um hi, are you sure you know what you're doing up there?" B, probably.

I walked all around and just asked for simple things. She had a great leg yield and was tougher on her right side just like Goose. When I asked her to trot, I went from having to pony kick her to being run away with, which was my absolute favorite. I learned quickly that if you point this mare up a diagonal, she tries to give you an extended trot. I felt like I was posting a million miles an hour and was howling with laughter, providing some entertainment for my friends I was riding with. I figured a few things out and cantered her all over too before we cooled out with a nice walk up the driveway. It was so fun to ride something with some pep in her step, she definitely wanted to be the leader on our walk. This ride was exactly what I needed after a rough few weeks. The BM asked if I wanted to come ride her the following night too, and obviously I couldn't resist. 



Day two we decided to do a quick ride in the arena then head out and walk around the field to cool out. Neither Kalyn or I were feeling particularly motivated, but I did want to see if I could figure B out any better the second day. Day one I could figure out how to get her to canter without running her into it (totally a me problem, this pony is super trained I'm just an idiot) and see if I could get her to relax into the bridle any better. She's similar to Goose in that she needs some convincing to do things and takes a bit of leg, but she's far peppier and sassier so I wanted to figure her out without just asking how I'd ask Goose. 




After getting run away with up the diagonal a few times - dang this butterball can really move! - I figured out that I was really just perching on her and I needed to actually use my seat and, ya know, ride. As soon as I relaxed and asked her for things like a rider who sort of knows what they're doing, she gave me the best transitions into canter and I was grinning like a fool. We toodled around the field before ending our short ride with carrots and pony pats. 

Fixing her grumpy pony ears

I don't think I've had that much fun on a horse in a long, long time. I always have fun riding Goose, but it's a different kind of fun when you get to ride a Haflinger! I'm not really a pony-sized person for frequent pony rides or to own my own, but it was so gratifying that I've worked so hard to get in shape over the past year that I fit pretty well on her and had an absolute blast. She's the perfect little Barbie pony and I am now her number one fan. 

There's nothing like riding someone else's horse to make you appreciate your own though, and this ended up being the best way to kick off a weekend of excellent rides. 


Comments

Popular Posts