Mud Yaks and Selling Condos

 This winter has been BUSY. Not really from the riding front - I don't really need 10 fingers to count how many times I've ridden so far this year but being as it's mud season, Goose can be a yak at-will. 


I've been trying to sit on him when possible, but winter down here does this really fun thing where it rains incessantly, stops for two to three days so the ground MAYBE has a teensy chance of absorbing some of the sky tears, and then bam, thunderstorm in February and seven days of rain. Le sigh. 


Last weekend was a wash, but Amanda called me and asked if I wanted to come play at Robindale. The farm is absolutely gorgeous, and Goose loves playdates with his girlfriend Zena. My friend Brenna who I met four years ago at the first barn I boarded at is also the barn manager there, so I texted her and the three of us planned to ride together. There is a lovely covered arena, and Sundays are super quiet so I wouldn't be in the way. 

Getting Goose to the trailer was... interesting. We have a looong driveway, and with the mud I told Amanda to pull up outside the outer gate and I'd walk him up there. I tacked up, hopped on, and we started walking. You know that fun feeling when your horse grows three hands all of a sudden and feels like a rocket ready for takeout? That's how Goose felt. I safely hopped down before we could make poor life choices and hand walked the rest of the way. At the trailer he spun around and almost knocked Amanda over and earned himself a CTJ. Ugh winter. 

"EXCUSE ME I FEEL CRAZY" with Zena watching calmly. 

At Robindale he was really trying to be on his best behavior but was still a bit up. I borrowed a rope halter from Amanda and hand walked him and did some basic groundwork in the covered. He notoriously HATES indoors and covered arenas so I had told myself I wasn't going to get on unless I felt safe (I'm no hero, and he can be an ASS. Ask anyone who boarded with me winter 2014). After about 10 minutes, I watched him take a deep breath and visibly relax, so I bridled and climbed aboard. 

Unamused by the humans having better control over him.

I'm SO PROUD of this horse. At nearly 17 we really might be getting somewhere! He wanted to spook but I was able to push him forward instead and he relaxed (aka tired) after about ten minutes and gave me some really quality work for an out of shape yak. No media because I left my phone in my coat pocket on a chair but we had a great ride and it's always fun to watch the fancy ponies that Amanda and Brenna ride. All in all a successful outing. 

A good tired boy after our ride.

And that really brings us to the end of my barn life. Goose is gross, he's not too fat because the grass actually died this year so the horses are on round bales, and I bareback walked him sitting on his blanket the other day. It's been a stressful few weeks with selling the condo and work being busy. 

Oh, did I forget to mention? Two weeks ago I met with my barn manager/realtor/friend and we talked about listing the condo so I can buy a house this year. Exactly two weeks after that meeting, the condo is listed! The photos came out great, there are six showings today scheduled so far, and I am safely tucked away at my friend's house so I don't have to deal with leaving every five minutes for people to come through. I'll go home when it's sold so I can disinfect and start packing. 

I've been driving myself crazy the past few weeks organizing every closet, packing some stuff away so it shows better, and trying desperately to keep it clean with a shedding potato and two muddy winter dogs. Fingers crossed it sells quickly so I can stop trying to keep it super clean! The photos turned out amazing too, anyone want to buy a cute condo in Cotswold? I love living there, I just need more space for dogs and a yard! 





Oh also, happy four years in Charlotte to me! A great way to celebrate four years it to sell your home and move out of the city, right? 

Comments

  1. Oh. My. God. That muddy yak!! Lol sometimes I’m seriously grateful my horse is dirt colored.... Lol anyway awesome to keep getting these chances to go ride around with your friends! Glad he was good for it! Good luck selling the condo too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mini adventures make up for the overall lack of riding for sure, though it's semi embarrassing to roll up to a gorgeous horse farm with the yak lol. Thanks for the luck, already accepted an offer so fingers crossed it all goes to plan!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts