March Updates

 Spring has finally sprung, seasonal depressions is slowly making its way out of my brain, and I'm getting plenty of barn time in. From a Goose perspective, I don't have very much to complain about. Aside from the random FREEZING nights lately, with days hitting the 70's, so he ends up wearing outfits like this. 

Screenshot from a video Abby sent me - he looks like an actual clown. It's too much work for her to strip fly gear every night/morning and the gnats are eating him alive so he gets to rock the sheet (hideous colors I KNOW but it was on sale) and fly boots/mask look. It cracks me up.

We haven't done a whole lot since the last time I blogged. Work is incredibly stressful for me right now so I've made the barn my happy place, or not if I feel like I need a long walk or night on the couch instead. With the weather improving, that's been less of the case lately. 

Lots of rides look like this. Loving the spring grass coming in!

I also did a few house projects while my parents were in town and am obsessed with my finished laundry closet and the shelves we hung in my office. I've been here nearly a year and I adore my little home. 


Now to organize and decorate... eventually.

Two weeks ago, I clipped the three old men - Goose, Apollo, and Lewis - which felt like a huge accomplishment. I also got new clippers! I am the proud new owner of Lister Stars and they have changed my clipping life for the better. 

Also in love with the huge bag they came with!

A gross yak before bath and clip

A unicorn <3 

This is Goose's BFF Apollo. He doesn't let anyone else near him so they can't have other herd mates.

Sweet old man Lewis. He was the MOST happy to be naked.

Goose also turned EIGHTEEN this month. I'm really unsure how that happened but our ten year anniversary is coming up in July. TEN YEARS of the Goober, it's hard to remember my life without him. It's worth mentioning that this horse has never once had any sort of maintenance - he's had a pretty easy life, and has always felt great once he gets through his initial drafty shuffle each ride (which he's done since he was eight, so). However, lately he's a little more sluggish and I think it's time we have him evaluated. I am desperately hoping the vet won't recommend injecting every joint, I'd really rather an approach with Adequan or a general injectable, but we'll see and go from there. We'll also see how far I can stretch my bank account, which is really going to be the thing that holds me back. 

In early March we walked to the pond one day. Not pictured: Him dragging me into the deep part of the pond, then leaping out of the pond and I almost fell off. I do have a video I was recording during his dramatic exit. Never a dull moment.

We've been slowly building up fitness. Coming out of winter, he was barely ridden for more than walk and light trot rides maybe 2 times a week pending weather. He doesn't mind that at all and neither do I; I think it's great he has a few light months each year. However, he also feels like he's made of two drunk guys in a horse costume and the guy in the back keeps tripping. This isn't new. He's always felt like this coming back after time off, and we have his long back and naturally weak draft hind end to blame. We do a lot of up and down the little hills at the barn and walking and trotting over poles, and slowly but surely he's feeling less drunk and more together. We definitely need a baseline of fitness before getting evaluated by our vet, so we're on the right track for hopefully having him out end of April or May. 

I let him do this cross rail a few times the other day. He tried to run away with me but got tired after five strides.

While Goose is getting some fitness rides, so am I on my friend's mare, Zena. I adore her, and love riding with my friends at Robindale when Amanda is away. 

The fanciest long-maned dressage Queen Z.

Last Sunday, Alyson and I took the boys to Camden for a spring ride. The weather was perfect, the trails clear and sandy, and we didn't see another soul while there. Perfection. We're looking at the spring and summer hunter pace schedules and are trying to get a few fun things on the books in the coming months. Goose and Pari remain happy companions on our rides and I'm so thankful to have a friend whose horse is in the same stage of life as Goose. Neither of us feel the need to go crazy, but rather enjoy the time and years we have with our nearing-20's friends and make the most of exploring trails and fun events. 





Not a particularly exciting update, but nice to get caught up all the same! 



Comments

Popular Posts