Giddyup Goose

 I had a plan. I was going out to the barn to ride the horse. No, not hop on bareback and toodle around, but actually ride. A few friends were going out too and damnit, I was going to put real tack on. 

And then it happened. 

Abby: "I'm helping out a neighbor with selling a bunch of tack from her barn, I have a whole truck full of it. I think there's even a western saddle. You know, I've always said I'd ride Goose if we had a western saddle..." 

Me: *Grabby hands* "Let's see if it fits! Just for shits and giggles, he's never had one on before..."

"Does this saddle make my butt look big? Don't lie to me, I bet it does."

The saddle was what we call good enough. I used to go team penning and sorting in high school and college, and had a blast riding my trainer at the time's boyfriend's fancy quarter horses, so I know my way around a western saddle. I was pretty appalled that this one had been converted to English stirrups and an English girth, but it fit and would be better with a thicker saddle pad. I have no idea what style of western saddle it is, certainly not a great one, but we gave it a shot anyway. 

What is even happening with these stirrups and girth? 

Abby found the correct western pieces in the tack lot she got, so we are going to convert it back to its actual stirrups and girth.

Goose, as expected, did not care one whit about it. It's super light so it wasn't like I was flinging a heavy ranch saddle on him (which he still wouldn't have cared about). Abby asked if I was going to ride him in it and I said, nah, I'm tacking up tonight to ride. Then I thought, what the hell am I doing OF COURSE I'm riding him in this tonight, and so is the rest of the barn. 

I popped on from the picnic table in my bean boots and helmet and Goose did not care at all, again not that I expected him to. I'm very lucky that he does not have a sensitive back, so I don't hesitate to throw random tack on him if it's a "good enough" fit for a short ride. (My own saddle fits him perfectly, I'm not cruel to my horse so don't come at me). We took a few pictures and then I hopped back off to put real boots on and off we went. 

Goose is unamused by my outfit.

Goose is probably one of the most fun horses I've ever ridden, and largely that's why I've kept him all these years. Sure he's the slowest dude on earth, but he's the best for bareback, trail rides, popping random jumps and trusting he's going over it, and apparently tossing on a random western saddle and screaming GIDDYUP GOOSE as you flail the reins at him. I trotted and cantered around a little on a loose rein, and thanked him for being a couch because my ass did not quite fit in this saddle all that well so if I was seated it was great, but if I tried to post, things would have been fairly uncomfortable. 

It's so small you can't even tell its a western saddle haha. Cantering him around was so fun, but I definitely prefer to not let him go like a llama. 

As I'm giggling like a weirdo having the time of my life, the two kids that board with us show up with their mom. They've been going through some scary things and we knew they needed a fun night at the barn, so I immediately yelled for them to get their helmets. The older girl got up first and loped around for a few circles, and then we got their mom up. The three of them went for a walk around the field on Goose and the girls' horses and it was a really sweet moment to witness. I'm so glad he could help put a smile on their faces last night. 


After she hopped off, we made Abby (our beloved barn manager, and strict non-rider) get on. She was wearing jean shorts but grabbed a helmet and gamely hopped up. I love watching Goose take care of non-riders, he just kind of stands there like, uh, you sure you want to do this? And then proceeds to walk in slow motion. He seemed most confused about his food lady sitting on him because he kept turning around to look at her like, 'scuse me ma'am where are my snacks?

Last but not least, Haley (BM's daughter) hopped on Goose and took him for a spin. Yup, he had five riders on him last night, but in total did less than five minutes of more than walking. He was such a good dude for everyone, and now our barn is the proud owner of a weird little western saddle, because obviously we needed it for Goose pony rides. 

And this is why I couldn't post. Kids saddle plus thunder thighs don't equal optional posting. 

I love when random things happen that cause a normal evening to turn into one that I'll remember for a long time. Goose is so game for anything, and now is requesting a meeting with his union rep to demand early retirement and to only be ridden by a trail-riding lady in his western saddle. 

Comments

  1. wow that is definitely 'minimalist' for a western saddle haha, gotta appreciate the creative reconstruction?? lol -- for real tho, what fun! and Goose sounds like such a good sport giving rides to everybody <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If close contact western saddles are a thing, this is it lol. Definitely felt more like a pony ride saddle than anything but hey, we know how to have a good time with anything! He's the best dude, now to teach him to neck rein.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if the person who retrofitted it did endurance? I've seen Western saddles with English stirrups/girths in some of those groups. Weird but fun! Goose is such a good boy to give all those pony rides 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that but it's totally possible, especially considering the saddle itself is so light (and I'm pretty sure synthetic). The barn it came from was a "jack of all trades" kind of place so it wouldn't surprise me if someone had dabbled in endurance! Goose was perfect and loved it - needless to say though he worked "SO HARD" he earned tonight off haha

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts