A Day for Disappointment

Valentine’s day, a day meant for love, gifts, and… sorry I’m already gagging I can’t finish that sentence. I don’t really have a purpose for Valentine’s day but I’m sure for some people it’s positively delightful. Gifts are exchanged, hearts, flowers, love…

For Valentine’s day this year, I was planning to give Goose the gift of a second melanoma removal. I know what you’re thinking, and yes my vet and I did joke about him getting the wrong kind of “action” for that area on this day of love. I know, I know, how generous and thoughtful of me. (For anyone who needs a recap, here’s my post on his first surgery in December). Unfortunately, after she examined him today he is no longer a candidate for on-farm removal. What were few, tiny little polyps just a few weeks ago have now grown into clusters of many melanoma, even around the site of the last removal where the vet had achieved fantastic margins.

Fucking. Awesome.

So now, naturally, I’m a mess and trying very hard not to think too far down the line. Luckily, Goose still doesn’t know there’s anything wrong with him, and I hope he stays that way forever. The biggest issue in his mind right now is that we’ve cut back his grain and he’s not thrilled about it, he much prefers his dad-bod figure. In terms of his medical situation, we now have to regroup. My vet is a wonderful human and I am very lucky to have some friends in positions to provide me with excellent resources and information. The vaccine is back on the table, just as Goose might be back on the table for a second surgery in the clinic.  

Did I mention that tomorrow is the one-year anniversary of him being put on the table for his splint removal? And that I’m still paying off those bills?

Today is a bad day, and I hope tomorrow will be better. There is a lot to process and I have no plans to think about this anymore today and will instead focus on my good friend Tequila to get me through.


Not my most eloquent post, so have a picture of Goose from when I was in NZ in 2013 and my friends set up a kissing booth to send me pictures.

Goose smooching his auntie Stephanie

Comments

  1. Sorry to hear about the melanoma growth 😫 hopefully tequila gets you through today and tomorrow brings better news?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, unfortunately the news wasn't exactly unexpected but it hit me slam in the face anyway. Tequila got me through last night and now on to more vet conversations. I just keep chanting Ilovemyhorse, Ilovemyhorse, Ilovemyhorse...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts