Why We Can't Have Nice Things: Bridle Edition

There's a lot of catching up I have to do on here but I despise Blogger these days (what the hell is up with pictures now?) and Goose did something stupid last night and I need bridle recommendations, so first thing is first. 

Last night I went to the barn with the intention of a light hack while the dogs ran and swam. Kalyn and I were going to ride out in the front field, so I threw on tack and started walking him down the driveway to the mounting block. 

If you know nothing else about Goose, please know that this big ol' hippo HATES flies. Cannot handle them, throws frequent temper tantrums, is a raging asshole when a fly is within a seven mile radius of him. Not saying I blame him, but just giving you some background. 

As I'm walking him down the driveway, he starts throwing a full-blow hissy fit. For the record, there were no giant bombers near him, definitely some gnats but he had his bonnet on him and I'd just let him scratch on his leg for a minute, so he was in an unprecedented, ridiculous drama-llama temper tantrum. I just kept walking him, holding onto the reins while he did his defective rendition of a Spanish walk with his knees to his ears while he tried to wrench the reins out of my hands. Before you yell at me for being mean to him, he does this, he's fine, there were no flies on him, it's like his brain gets stuck and he just needs to be a lunatic for a sec. 

Just as I started turning around to tell him to knock it off, he throws his head around, high steps, slams his foot down on his reins, and rips the bit and cheek pieces on his bridle. IDIOT. (For the record I know accidents happen but he's SO ANNOYING when he does this and I'm allowed to call him an idiot if I want to, thanks.)

And so there he stood in his noseband and headstall, bit on the ground with reins and cheek pieces. From my monocrown bridle that you can't replace cheek pieces on. FML. I went and threw my dressage bridle together so we still went for a light hack, barely touching the reins because he also cut his gum along his tooth a little, not bad enough I wasn't going to ride but he's getting today off while he Thinks About What He Did. 

So, dear blogland, I need a new bridle. The one he broke was a monocrown Ovation that I HATED, so I do not want another. It only fit him "okay" and felt like plastic. I've talked to a few friends and consulted a Facebook group about what to look for, but what do you all like? I think there's more than one self-proclaimed tack-ho that occasionally read my blog, so what's your favorite brand, under $200 new (also looking used!) that is a decent quality leather, preferably monocrown, brown with fancy stitching, and fits a large land hippo wide head? 

So far my favorite option is this Bobby's Bridle which supposedly fits wide-headed horses very well. 

Our ride ended peacefully at least, with a gallivanting hippo and Potato enjoying the stagnant humidity of a September evening in South Carolina. 


Side note: Blogger totally killed the quality of this video, ugh. It's better on my instagram @Lyssabd (shameless plug if you like dog and Goose pics).



Comments

  1. I know I saw your comment on FB and didn't connect with the person's blog I read, lol. I have several oversize bridles I need to sell (new horse is full size) ranging from HDR that cleans up easily but isn't high quality leather to a really nice Red Barn that I've only used a few times. I'll try to find your post again on FB. Ironically I have a partially an Aramas bridle to sell because the horse I sold last year caught his bit on a faucet and broke the crown, lol. I was able to buy a crown of another brand but it was so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about quality yet but I just bought a bridle from Pearlescent Pony I'm pretty excited about, if you're willing to take a flyer on an unknown brand 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I had another thought. My Eponia bridle was in the $200 range and I LOVE it -- the quality is amazing. Their US rep's customer service sucks but you can buy directly from Sweden on eBay, and I think with shipping it's just a smidge over your budget. But the quality is 👌👌 if you watch sometimes they run discounts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh let me know how you end up liking your Pearlescent Pony! Keeping that in my back pocket for if/when I splurge on a new dressage bridle down the road, they have great options! I've looked into Eponia and have heard great things, will check into Ebay as well thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts