[Still] Going With the Flo' Part II

"One day it started raining, and it didn't quit for four months. We been through every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stingin' rain, and big ol' fat rain, rain that flew in sideways, and sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath." - Forrest Gump

While it hasn't been raining for four months, it sure feels like it. The rain started Friday night, and it's going on roughly 48 hours of fairly constant precipitation. At this point, the wind has died down which at least means we have one less element to contend with. Still, the city is flooding and there are a lot of people without power. Who the hell pissed off Flo? Get that bitch some wine and chocolate already, sheesh.

Rainy day ennui 

As far as the horses are concerned, my amazing barn manager has been able to get to the farm to check on them frequently. While some are a bit shivery, they are all doing just fine and as far as I can tell, nothing serious has happened on our property. Earlier this evening, Abby reported the rain had let up a bit and the horses were wandering around grazing.

Unfortunately, Abby also reported that some of the major roads are flooding out in Waxhaw and Fort Mill. Here are a few pictures she shared. It's fairly concerning that conditions are already this flooded... we're expected to have another 24-48 hours of rain.

PC: Abby

PC: Abby

Things at home are status quo. Last night I had a hurricane party dinner with a few of my neighbors which was a lot of fun. Yesterday Zuzu was a champion about sleeping around all day, but as dog people know, there's only so long you can expect a barn dog to stay inside. Today she has been driving me NUTS.


While I'm fairly content to catch up on some cleaning and organizing (okay fine, Netflix bingeing), my darling Susan just wants to do SOMETHING. She's emptied her toy basket several times, made it impossible to remake my bed as she did zoomies in my room, and has been snuggle champion of the world when I've had enough of entertaining her. She's always cuddly, but this is the first time in awhile that she's lain literally on top of me on the couch.


Luckily, we still have power and I don't have water inside - yet. I'm becoming a little concerned if we do actually continue to get rain for a few days as my back patio is now lakefront real estate. My condo association did this really great thing earlier this year, and put in these awesome "drainage rock creeks". Unfortunately, whatever genius installed this master design failed to consider that they built basically on a small hill, which leaves a very low spot between my patio and the rock creek, thus creating a delightfully unnecessary water feature. I'm thinking about getting koi and frogs.


Around four, Zu was driving me bananas so I took her out to our corner field and let her loose. She was pretty stoked to have freedom and play with ALL THE STICKS. I had her out for about 45 minutes and she was the happiest, soggiest dog of all time. She was pretty intrigued with the full branches she dragged around - guess it doesn't take much to entertain us during a storm.


I also discovered that my rain jacket of 13 years is no longer waterproof. What a time to discover that fun little fact! Zuzu's Weatherbeeta rain coat is holding up great though. I'm not one of those crazy people who thinks my dog needs to wear clothes all the time, but this thing sure comes in handy for weeks like this. I don't care how wet and muddy she gets at the barn, but there is something fantastic about bringing her back in from a walk in the rain and only having to dry off her head and legs.

As of now, we're snuggled up on the couch finishing Sharp Objects on HBO. I have a few more blogs that I just have to add pictures to and can plan post this week. One great thing about this storm is it's allowed me to catch up, because I have quite a few things backlogged. Goose had a very busy weekend last week, so I'm sure he's enjoying his time off now!


Comments

  1. Only a partially wet dog seems like a really great thing to me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts