Practical Horseman Melanoma Article: Goose is famous!

Guys.

I know I hinted at it a few posts back, but my July copy of Practical Horseman just came in the mail yesterday and I was too excited not to share it on my Facebook wall first but...




Goober was featured in a melanoma article!!! Okay, okay, I'll give you a second to catch your breath from all this excitement.

-

-

So I've been sitting on this information for a few months now and it has been SO HARD not to share this very exciting news. The author or this article, Elaine Pascoe, commented on one of my blogs  asking if I'd be willing to share our story for her piece. I did the obvious thing and immediately commented back with my email address and an enthusiastic OMG YES OF COURSE (but written much nicer because I'm a GD professional) and the rest is history. We emailed back and forth a few times, she sent me the draft to look over, and in May I was emailed again by another PH staff member asking for some pictures... at which point I realize I have exactly 0 quality photos of us. Clearly it worked out though and they were able to sneak in some photos of us!

More than Goose and I being featured however, I'm so happy that more information is being put out there about equine melanoma. I feel that too many people take the stance of, "Eh, we'll ride it out and see what happens. It's probably fine and this horse will still live for a long time," which is not a plan I'm really on board with especially when there are other options out there. There's more studies coming out saying that it's best to treat early instead of waiting it out, and I'm glad I hopped on board my Oncept plan when I did and am hopeful we'll have good results. I'm confident that with articles like this and with more people going for experimental treatments like Oncept, the drugs and treatment options will change for the better and more horses can be kept healthy and melanoma-free.

I know I posted two pages of the article above, but there are several more pages in between and I hope anyone who gets their hands on a copy of PH will read the article! (Also, how does one get their hands on more copies of PH? I can't find any stores who carry it, ugh.) Big thanks to Elaine Pascoe for taking the time to talk to me and include Goose's story in her article. I'm beyond thrilled that the big Goon gets his 15 minutes of fame, and that she quoted me in such a positive light.

She ended her article with by mentioning my blog (!!!!) and quoting something I wrote to her in an email, "It's hard to just stand by for an injury or illness when these horses are so much more to us than just a riding partner. I owe it to Goose to do what I can."

Well buddy, I'm certainly doing what I can and this blog got you in PH to boot!



Comments

  1. That's so exciting, I'll have to see if my local farm store carries Practical Horseman! I'm glad they're doing so much more research and things now and that there are more options -- although I'm down to one grey (thank God!), my breed is primarily grey and it's definitely something that we're all vigilant about. Yay you guys for being ambassadors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself I'll never own another grey but I'm sure I haven't learned my lesson. Hopefully you never have to deal with this with Cinna, it's no fun at all. Luckily there's so much more information out there and I'm thrilled to help spread the word!

      Delete
    2. One of the other greys I owned before (Topaz) actually had lumps removed twice (neither being melanoma, but one being an incredibly rare mast cell tumor) so I am obsessive about bumps. Ughhhh horses! It would be nice if Cinna could just like... Not with the bumps 🤣

      Delete
    3. Seriously Cinna I will send you ALL THE COOKIES if you can remain non-lumpy for your mom! Why are grey horses always the lumpiest? Sigh.

      Delete
  2. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS! You and Goose are putting the great word out there and the fact that you helping with this story can help another horseowner makes it even better. Love you lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! <3 so thrilled about this article!

      Delete
  3. That's so awesum! I'm going to buy a copy tomorrow! I'm sure the local superette stocks it. Great they did an article as most grey owners are all too familiar with melanomas. Definately needs to be more information out there! and more also on the success of treatments so people feel confident about proceeding with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tell myself I will never own another grey again...but actually have 3 currently! One had eye surgery as a 2 year old with the removal of a small lesion which was a squamous cell carcinoma and tested positive -malignant..lucky caught early and all is now good. Then Holly developed lumps...proceeding with Oncept, phew! hoping for the best. Then my dear old girl who i owned for19 years, of which had melanoma for years, but late in life they took over and she was pts. So really know about Grey's and their lumps and bumps! It's more the heart break, stress and worry about losing your best friend ! Holly01

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! I would think I've learned my lesson but likely not. I just love the greys. So sorry for everything you've gone through with Holly and your other horses, you're such a good horse mom they're lucky to have someone who is willing to do all of this for them. There is always so much heartbreak in horses - for greys, you're right, melanoma just adds to it.

      Delete
  5. Knowing PM is putting an effort to publish articles like this made me renew my subscription for another 2 years. How very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - I renewed mine too and hope they publish more like this! Bonus points for every time they feature someone I know ;)

      Delete
  6. You guys are awesome. Don't forget us little folks while you're out there being FAMOUS. So cool!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will never forget our roots! Goose is definitely enjoying his 15 minutes of fame - he's got the mares at the barn swooning ;) Hate that he's famous for melanoma but I've always known he was a star haha

      Delete
  7. How are you going with the Oncept? Holly01

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to write an update post, I've had a lot of things going on so haven't been able to bring myself to blog. He's finished his series, I need to take updated pictures but haven't really seen any changes in the melanoma, and am worried more are still growing. Still early to tell but will write a full catch-up soon!

      Delete
  8. Here it is in all its glory: https://practicalhorsemanmag.com/health-archive/equine-melanoma-harmless-bump-or-time-bomb Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your story with our readers! And as a personal note, thank you so much for taking the time to chat with me about our own melanoma struggles! Now I need to dig back through your blogs and get all caught up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beyond thrilled to have been able to contribute to this article in a small way! It's been such a great thing to come out of a pretty awful situation. Loved chatting with you over email, thank you so much for following our story! Super excited the article is online now too, I didn't realize how hard it was to find copies of the magazine outside of a subscription (which I of course have!).

      Delete
  9. I finally got to read this! Great article ! Well written and informative :) Holly01

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts