Year 25



New Years Eve. Another year come and gone. To be perfectly honest, I can't stand New Years. Too much hype over endless possibilities that people won't explore, chances to start over that people won't take, and resolutions that will be left unresolved. You'll call me cynical, I call myself realistic. 

What I do like about New Years is that it's my birthday. Well, I don't exactly like my birthday, I'd rather it just be passed over like any other day, but I like that my life began with a new year and I can mark my years quite literally by the calendar. It's neat and organized and keeps my brain's filing system in order. 




2017 began where 2016 ended: I was miserable and in need of a major change. I took a chance on a job in Charlotte, North Carolina and packed up my things, my dog, and eventually my horse and moved ten hours south to the Queen City. I haven't regretted it for a moment. Sure, there have been obstacles. Looking at you Goose! The day my mom and I flew down to Charlotte to find an apartment, Goose had a compound fracture of his right hind splint bone and ended up needing surgery in March to remove the fragments. I guess life is a balance really, so for every bit I was excited about moving and starting a new life, I was also devastated by this blow to my horse and my sanity. I was lucky that I have the best friends in the world to take care of that Goober, and still miss that barn manager every day for caring for him for four month until we could safely move him down. In the midst of the chaos and guilt of leaving my buddy behind, I was overwhelmed by the kindness and help from so many people both during his surgery and recovery, and especially when I needed to move him down. 




My first few months in Charlotte were spent taking advantage of my strange, horse-free life. Zuzu and I explored our new home and she adjusted to the life of a city dog. She started coming with me to work every day. I made friends with my neighbor and her dog, Ellie. We went hiking, explored bars and breweries, and searched for a new barn home. I finally moved Goose down and we managed to not completely melt over the summer and found a wonderful new trainer to catch a few lessons with. I was in my friend's wedding in September and got to spend time throughout the year and the wedding weekend with some wonderful friends I don't get to see nearly often enough. 







I had too many visitors to list and enjoyed showing off my new home. I've been able to see some of my favorite family that live only two hours from me now. Goose finally came down and moved to a barn in Rock Hill, SC. I've enjoyed countless rides with Goose and Zuzu out in the fields. I went to Tryon multiple times to watch Grand Prix and events. I made new barn friends and went on a hunter pace. I got closer with a few coworkers who are now good friends. I switched teams at work and traveled to Atlanta for meetings and met up with Colleen for a much needed girls weekend. 









I got Goose through his second surgery of the year. Zuzu and I took agility classes. I started a blog. 

I moved ten hours away from my family by myself to a city I'd never been where I didn't know anyone. And you know what? That was the easy part of my year. The biggest challenge has been Goose, but as all horse owners know you take the good with the bad and every time you call the vet out and your horse is still standing when they leave, you're grateful. 

We weren't so lucky with Maggie, though I was lucky enough to be home to see her just days before she died. We lost her in May to squamous cell carcinoma, and I still can't think of her without the stab pain and loss. She was and forever will be the best dog I ever knew. 



2017 has been stressful. It has been challenging, it has been exhausting, it has been wonderful. It's so easy to get caught up in the challenges of life and forget to look at all the wonderful things that have happened along the way. I'm grateful, and I'm proud. I'm proud that I made this move. I'm proud that I've made it this far largely on my own, of course with the wonderful support of friends and family. I've had an amazing year and was able to accomplish a lot of my goals. There have been many challenges, much heartache, and of course endless stress. There has also been laughter, fun, exploration, and happiness. 

There has been change, and all of it for the better.

It was a year, an overall good year, and one that I'm happy to neatly file away as Year 25. 





Comments

  1. Happy birthday! And happy new year with new adventures, even if you're not falling for all the hype. Hope to see you at some point! I'll be at Tryon in April...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Happy New Year! Tryon is so close to me, let me know when you’ll be there (something involving endurance?) would love to see you if we can work it out!

      Delete
    2. Yup! With any luck, I'll be crewing the WEG 2* pre-ride on April 28th. Nothing official yet since only 3 US riders get to go and I still have to find out if mine is one of them.

      Delete
    3. I hope your rider makes it! Keep me posted, at some point in our travels we will meet up!

      Delete
  2. That you picked up and moved away from family and friends to a new-to-you place is so huge and admirable! I don't think I'd be brave enough to do such a thing. I hope Goose doesn't trouble you so much in the new year.

    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Moving was the easiest decision I've ever made. Luckily, I'm an overly-independent person so while I miss friends it's been an easy transition. I don't blame you for not wanting to leave your corner of the world though, I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog! Happy 2018, hope it is good to you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts