The Lady Comes To Visit


Last week my mom came down to visit. We had talked earlier in the fall about her coming down to visit before Christmas to help me decorate for the holidays and it worked out that the weekend before Thanksgiving was our best option. Bah humbug to all you Scrooges who complain about people decorating early!

I love Christmas. To me, it really is the most wonderful time of the year with decorations galore, lit up streets and garland everywhere with Christmas music playing on repeat. The stress isn’t ideal what with pressure to find the perfect gifts, but I just try to ignore that. The atmosphere is magical and I like to live in my own little bubble of holiday bliss. I’ve been looking forward to my mom coming down so we could have a girls weekend and pick up some decorations, even though I won’t get a tree until after Thanksgiving. I’m still coming home to NJ for Christmas, but that doesn’t mean I can’t decorate and enjoy my apartment in the weeks before heading north!

I picked up Mom from the airport Thursday night, we stopped at the grocery store, and headed home to watch movies and eat pizza. It was great catching up, and Zuzu was probably more excited to see her than I was. She adores my family and always gets sad when they leave her again. I was able to sneak out of work a little early on Friday so we went to Homegoods to get some shopping in before heading to the movies to see Bad Moms Christmas. Highly recommend, it was hilarious and we both enjoyed it.

Saturday we went to the Southern Christmas Show which was intensely overwhelming but so much fun. We got great deals on some gifts, decorations, and random things like bamboo bed sheets and aloe cream, and by the time we made it through all the halls, we were thoroughly exhausted. By the time we finished our day after stopping at Michael’s, Pet People (to get the most AWESOME bed for Zu) and Nothing Bundt Cakes, we were dead on our feet.

This is Clooney, the super cute English Cocker who sold us adorable dog collars. Also the only picture I took at the Christmas show, oops.
She LOVES her new Bowser bed!


The rest of Saturday was spent with our feet up, beers in our hands, and Hallmark movies on TV. It was bliss! We did a little bit of decorating and I’m looking forward to finishing up this week before coercing Marissa into going tree shopping with me this weekend. Our Friendsgiving/GOOSEGIVING celebration this week is going to look a bit Christmassy, and I’m not at all sorry.  

Sunday dawned chilly and clear, so we threw Zu in the car and headed to see the Goober. Mom used to visit him a few times a month while he was still in NJ rehabbing post-op, and he’s come to know her as the Treat Lady. She would always carefully cut up apples for him and feed the pieces to him one at a time when she’d go to visit. She’d also bring human cookies for Auntie Marissa and Auntie Dawn for taking the best care of him while he recovered, but Goober didn’t really care about that. Goose knows her well and as soon as she called out “Goober!” walking to his field, he put his head up and whinnied at her. It was adorable. Out we went to catch him and he was only slightly terrified of the electric fence. Small win.


He’d had a few days off and showed it by spooking at hay pallets and hanging blankets on our way into the barn. Luckily he gave me a lovely, stretchy ride, and I was pleased with where his brain was considering the time off and wind. Deciding he could handle one more rider for the day, Mom got on Goose!

Obviously not the stretchy part of our ride


All those years of watching my lessons paid off and she knew to ask how to hold the reins properly, not to pull on his face, and to keep her heels down. Since it was windy I didn’t let her trot him this time, but she did some steering, halting, and walking by herself. Goober was a perfect gentleman and was thrilled to stay at his favorite gait: slow shuffle.


 The rest of our barn time was spent stuffing him full of cut up apples before turning him back out. We headed home to finish our weekend with lunch and more movies on the couch. It was such a perfect weekend and we were both sad to see it end.

Tomorrow Marissa comes in for GOOSEGIVING, and I’ve already stocked up on groceries, wine, and champagne. I know she’s only visiting me because she misses my animals, but I’m so looking forward to her visit and we have some excellent activities planned. 

Comments

Popular Posts